the main objective of the external review was to evaluate updated grant documents of the consolidated Round 3 HIV/AIDS Rolling Continuation Channel (RCC) grant with R4, 5,6 and 8 by looking at the national and provincial strategic analysis documents, which were developed by the Chinese authorities in response to the GF imposed conditionality on the HIV/AIDS RCC grant.
Actual services provided:
- Revision of the national and provincial strategic analysis documents that feed into the work plan/budget of the consolidated HIV/AIDS grant for the quality and overall reasonableness:
- A desk review of provincial strategic analysis documents and operational plans of the following eight provinces forming roughly 70-80% of the national epidemic: Hubei, Henan, Guangdong, Guangxi, Chongqing, Yunnan, Sichuan, and Xinjiang – detailed workplan/budget and updated grant documents for Years 2 and 3 (2011-2012), Grant specific M&E plan and costed M&E workplan, national PMTCT scale up plan and a review of reports on TB-HIV collaborative activities of the above provinces
- Assessment and analysis of HIV/AIDS epidemic and response at provincial level;
- Prioritization and results-based target setting;
- Evidence-based selection and/or design of public health interventions;
- Costing and budgeting (from resource needs assessment to resource allocation);
- Program management structures and coordination of key stakeholders/partners;
- Results-based monitoring and evaluation;
- Gender sensitivity and responsiveness (any follow up actions planned as a result of the recently conducted joint WHO-GFATM mission on Gender)
- Participatory planning processes.
- Provide recommendations on further improvement of the detailed workplan/budget for the Years 2 and 3, and an overall upper ceiling of the RCC-II phase of the grant (Years 3 to 6).