The goal of avian influenza and human pandemic preparedness and response National Plan was to:
- reduce economic losses in the poultry sector, limit sporadic human cases and diminish the likelihood of an eventual human influenza pandemic during WHO pandemic alert level 3; and
- minimize serious illness and overall deaths.
The CGC team was contracted to assist the Government of Georgia in the development of the NIPP plan.
Actual services provided:
- Revision of the existing legal documents and regulatory framework and recommend on introduction of new, specific laws, decrees and amendments as necessary. In addition of that the NIPP rendered special attention to the current policy directions and the political feasibility.
- Development of a feasible NIPP that used the WHO, FAO and OIE terminology for the pandemic planning documents and certain terms to describe the global influenza situation at any point in time.
- Draft detailed operational plan of different scenarios for International Alert as well as for pre- pandemic and emergency of a pandemic virus Phases in accordance with the recommendation and guidelines suggested by WHO, FAO and OIE.
- Development of national guidelines in:
- pandemic influenza surveillance;
- social distance interventions;
- effective and accurate methods of diagnosis;
- infection control;
- national laboratory QA guidelines.
- Practical recommendations for developments/revision of guidelines to (i) year-round surveillance; (ii) social distance interventions; (iii) effective and accurate methods of diagnosis; (iv) strengthened medical services.
- Development of a curriculum, training manual and conduct training of the Ministry of Health, Tbilisi city municipality and selected regionsâ administration relevant staff on implementation of the NIPP.
- Preparation of a plan and organization of 2 workshops (Tbilisi & Kobuleti) to conduct the simulation, desk top exercise sessions on the national plan involving not less than 50 key stakeholders and other target groups.
- Development of a Communication Strategy for the dissemination of the plan.